OUR GOALS CAN LEAD TO DISAPPOINTMENT

 By Matata Mercy

Do you have goals for this new year? I know you do. 

Most people actually do have goals since the year has just began. 

I also used to set for myself goals at the beginning of each and every year. 

Until recently, i realised that the goals i set for myself to help improve myself and make me happy were actually making me miserable. 

So recently i made a decision not to have goals. 

The reason why i decided not to have goals was because i realised that whenever i set goals and i did not get the outcomes i desired, i always ended up with disappointment. 

When am disappointed, i end up miserable and unhappy. 

For me to ensure that i keep my happiness, i decided not to have goals but instead i choose a sense of direction where i want to go with low expectations. 

One timeless lesson that i have learnt is that it is better to focus on process of doing things than results. 

If you focus on process, bad results will not affect your well being simply because you have low expectations.

 If you write a book, focus on the writing do not put too much value in how many copies of the book will sale.

 If you are recording a song, forget about how many people will listen to it,just focus on composing and recording the best song you can. 

In short have high standards and low expectations. 

Since i value my happiness, i choose not to have goals.Good luck.

Comments