WHAT IS SELF-LOVE AND HOW TO GET IT?

By Matata Mercy

When i was still young, i was told to respect my elders and listen to them properly and also to be kind to others out there.

The 10 Branches of Self-Love

So i spent most of my childhood trying to serve other people and also make them comfortable and in the process i actually lost myself and also forgot to take very good care of myself.

 I stopped doing the things i loved and avoided focusing on my interests and instead tried to help other people fulfill their dreams and goals.

As a result of all this, i suffered from low self-esteem issues, the thought that i was not good enough always cripped out of my mind and into my face.

This affected me for a long time, i was timid and always lacked courage and confidence to go after the things that i have always wanted to achieve and accomplish.

One time, one of the people whom  i was seriously helping did something that shocked me and from that moment, i realised that i should have actually taken very good care of myself first before i can be able to put any other human being before me.

 I realized that when the good book says that love your neighbour as you love yourself, then it literally means that people actually love themselves more than others and therefore, it urges them to love their neighbours just like the way they actually do love themselves.

 Loving yourself and taking care of yourself is what most people will commonly call self-love.

The fundamental question that we can actually ask right now is that what  is self-love and how can we be able to get it? I would actually describe self-love as taking very good care of yourself and also taking care of your interests before anything else.

From that i started taking very good care of myself, dressing the way i would like to dress and also doing the things that iam very passionate about like blogging and writing.

With time i have gained self-confidence and my self-esteem back and i now feel very confident and i do love myself more.

Now for the question how do you get self-love? Well, the truth of the matter is that there is no one out there who will love you more than you actually love yourself and therefore self-love comes from within you.

You should begin loving yourself and you can start by doing the little things like dressing up well by wearing clothes that you feel comfortable, take yourself out and have a good time, listen to cool music, before you know it you will start loving yourself more.

Will you value others more than yourself or you will put yourself first? That is up to you. But always remember that when you love yourself, others will be attracted to you and will come to you.

 If you cannot love yourself, then you cannot love others since you cannot give what you actually do not have. Give yourself love first and others will offer that love to you in abundance.

Comments